Author Topic: Problems with Inventory Accuracy  (Read 33653 times)

Offline radshead

• View Profile
Problems with Inventory Accuracy
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:53:09 AM »
Hello,

We just completed a physical inventory and found significant occurances where the inventory count in the POS system is higher than the physical count.  A rough guess is 30-40% of the inventory items were incorrect, so it's not just an isolated case.  For multiple products, where we *knew* we recently sold the last item in stock, the POS software still had inventory allocated against the product.

Are there any known issues with the inventory count not being decreased when an item is sold?

thanks.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Inventory Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:42:57 PM »
No.  Check to make sure those items do not have the "Service" option checked.  That tells the software it's not an inventoried item but a service.  Are you using Links, Add-ons or Built products?

Offline radshead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:34:36 AM »
We do not use links, add-ons or built products.  I will check on the "service" option, but I know that I have not deliberately set this flag.  Thanks.

Offline Borman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »
I noticed this issue when an invoice gets edited. The inventory count is wrong after that. Happened on a couple of occassions.

Offline manilanewbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 06:33:42 AM »
Hi radshed! Did you get this issue resolved? I'm interested to know what happens. Inventory accuracy is of critical importance in my business.

Offline Talbert121

• Just looking around.
    • View Profile
    • hostgator coupon
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:39:32 PM »
Take an inventory of all merchandise currently in your system using your inventory control or POS system. Before you implement any inventory control changes, it is important to know what inventory you have on hand right now. Implement a business procedure requiring that all damaged, lost or stolen inventory must be reported in detail. This can prevent carelessness and communication problems when it comes to inventory control, reducing discrepancies in your inventory over time.

I like blogging and use a hostgator coupon for hosting discount.

Offline JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:32:45 PM »
Ron,

Borman is right. Once you edit an invoice, the quantities DO get added back to inventory as the program tells you but do not get "re-deducted" after you finish the edited sale. I edited a terms invoice today (in order to add other, different products that we forgot), and the quantity on the product that was on the original unedited invoice does not get taken out of inventory. The products we added to the edited invoice were properly deducted. Normally, we just start another invoice when we need to add products, but sometimes the customer is at the counter and forgets to give us a product.  I tested this on a second invoice, and the exact same (and incorrect) results. Can you please fix this bug on the next update since I can see this problem causing alot of inventory discrepancies.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 07:23:11 AM »
I'll look into it.

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:18:27 AM »
This could be part of my problem.  EVERY WEEK when I receive stock I find that the inventory counts are wrong for about 3 to 5 percent of the items.  It has been a point of contention between my wife and myself as she doubts that we have that much theft.  She blames the software while I have been trusting it.

Do I now understand that if I edit a sale the items are added back into inventory and yet still displayed as if they will be, but aren't, re-deducted when the edit is completed?  This is just WRONG.  The items should either be returned into stock and NOT be listed in the sales window or listed in the sales window and NOT be returned to stock.
Hyampom General Store
ezPower POS Network Ver13.701 - General Retail - Win7 - Bematech MP-4000TH Printer

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 07:36:14 AM »
The problem they are reporting is when the Terms payment methods is being used.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 08:16:03 AM »
I also have to add every time sales editing comes up, I think it's a bad practice.  The best practice is to make fixes/changes in a new sale.  This gives the best accountability and you can easily trace what steps your cashier made.

Offline JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 04:56:44 PM »
Yes Lee, it is just wrong. The program will indicate that you have more inventory on hand than you physically have. I agree with Ron that it is typically NOT a good practice to edit finished invoices, but sometimes its unavoidable (certain customers will not pay an incorrect terms invoice, for example).
Ron, will you be fixing the program at some point?

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 07:52:38 AM »
We have a version 13 update to address the inventory count when using the Edit Sale.  What are your business names?

Offline robertnj63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 05:14:28 AM »
Thanks Ron, for being so quick and reactive whenever a software problem arises. I just have a question regarding these "updates" and "fixes" that you send. Last month we had a problem with removing a corrupted sale and you sent us a version 13 fix that we downloaded. Everything was fine but we lost all the historical data in the "fine sold items" function key. Is there any way that when you send updates and fixes that none of the data gets deleted any where in the program? Please advise. Thank you ! Two months in to ezpower and loving it.......

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 07:29:44 AM »
No data is lost in updates.  The update only replaces the program.  All the data is stored in separate files.