Author Topic: "Generic Exception"  (Read 22054 times)

Offline Darren

• View Profile
Re: "Generic Exception"
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 12:49:26 AM »
Hi Ronald, I am still having no luck with this. I try to run Ezpos13 and it allows me to choose a workstation number and allows me to point it at the server folder on the network, which is the DR13 folder, but I still get the same message, other version 11.00 etc. Any more ideas?

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 07:15:53 AM »
That message says it all.  The software is pointing to a version 11 folder.  It needs to be pointed to the version 13 ezp folder.  This is located on the server.  On the server press the Help button.  The database path is shown at the bottom.

Offline Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 01:09:03 AM »
Hi Ronald,

I am still having this same issue try to install on a register. I have uninstalled and reinstalled on numerous occasions, deleting the DR13 folder etc. When it asks for the file location I point it to the ezp folder within the DR13 folder on the server and I still get generic exception and then it shuts down. The server is XP pro, the register win7 I have tried with other workstations using XP Pro but have the same problem. What else do you suggest I try? Thanks.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 07:07:58 AM »
windows 7 won't share files with XP in it's default setup.  Read this whole thread again.  The sharing must be set on the ezp folder in the server to share with everyone.  No password.  File discovery on.

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »
After having put this on the back burner for a while I am re-visiting my attempt to run ezPower13 on my office machine.
The machine is running Vista.  The server is running Win7.
I have updated the file c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts so that the IP address are correct.
I delete the c:\Users\Public\Public Documents\DR13\LocalFileNames file.
I launch ezPower POS13 and am prompted for a Register#, which I enter as "5" which is not being used.
After a few seconds with a "Progress" window displayed I receive the ezPower Main menu window with that "Generic Exception window on top of it again!

Now, the first time I tried to launch the program this morning the software actually prompted me for the path to the database!  The problem was that the computer which hosts the files, the actual register, was not listed so I could not select it.  The full map in the Network and Sharing center displays the computer and verifies the address, which I manually updated in the "hosts" file.

So, if anyone has an observation that can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Lee
Hyampom General Store
ezPower POS Network Ver13.701 - General Retail - Win7 - Bematech MP-4000TH Printer

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »
Usually when you get that error it's because the firewall/security is blocking ezPower from writing to the server's ezp folder.

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 11:16:40 AM »
ezPower POS is present on the list of programs to be allowed through the firewall on all the computers involved.

Must be something else.
Hyampom General Store
ezPower POS Network Ver13.701 - General Retail - Win7 - Bematech MP-4000TH Printer

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 07:09:32 PM »
All I can do is send the software with the auto-locate off.  This will allow you to navigate to the server and show the software where the ezp folder is.  If you still get the same error then it's a security issue.  What is your business name?