Author Topic: Applying Customer Payments  (Read 6828 times)

Offline knightline

• View Profile
Applying Customer Payments
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:46:23 PM »
When applying customer payments, we have to select each invoice individually until the payment amount is used up.
Is there a way the program can be made to receive payments and apply them automatically to a customers account, thus automatically closing any open invoices and putting the account in credit if extra is paid?

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Applying Customer Payments
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 05:28:33 AM »
I believe if you select the payment and just press Apply button the payment will be applied to the first invoice and down to each invoice until the payment is used up.

Offline knightline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I get asked to select the invoices the payment will be applied to.

Offline aryaissac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 05:12:49 AM »
Hi knightline, I hope this helps, I actually had no idea this option existed till I tried it for my self after your question.

1. The easiest way is to Select one of the sales for the customer that you want to apply the payments to (Either from the list on the sales screen or by finding the sale in Find Sale)

2. Than click on Payment with a (Red +) sign (Advanced Payment)

3. Find the X on the screen (left hand side near Record#) Under X Select the sales you want the payment to be applied to (if you click in the right area you will see a X appear.

4. Selected Total will be shown on bottom.

5. Press New Payment button on right side

6. Select one of the payment methods (Cash VISA etc...)

7. Type the amount and press OK, you will be probably prompted to print a payment receipt.

8. You will see a payment in unused payment section and a new button (Apply Payment) press this key and the sales that you had selected in step 3 with a X will now be All Paid.

Offline knightline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 09:15:39 PM »
Thanks for your reply.
The program already has the option to simply go to make payment, enter amount of payment, this becomes an unused payment.
It is then that you have to manually apply the payment to every invoice, same as your description in step 3.
It would be nice if we had the option to select the unused payment and an apply payment to customer button came up that automatically applied to all open invoices and left any credit as unused.
This would eliminate having to select 20 or 30 or so invoices individually.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 08:10:48 AM »
Just select the payment and press Apply.

Offline rjmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 11:52:51 AM »
Somehow, I've never even thought of using those "Payment" function buttons!

It looks like "Payment" with the $ sign will apply the payment as Ronald describes, without requiring the choice of a transaction to apply it to.

And the "Payment" with the + sign will put the payment in the "unused payment" window, requiring us to choose a transaction to assign it to.

They also give quite different receipts.  Ronald, could you maybe explain the specific circumstances that each of these would be useful for?

Thanks!