Author Topic: Taxed and not taxed, that is the question  (Read 8424 times)

Offline Deli-Man

• View Profile
Taxed and not taxed, that is the question
« on: May 25, 2011, 10:30:23 AM »
Hey there,  Rocco's Italian Market and Deli on v. 13.429 sending in a question.

In California(for deli's), a cold sandwich or coffee sold for take-out or delivery is not taxable.  If it is eaten in the deli, then it is taxable.  Most of our business is take-out and delivery.  Is there an automated way for the POS to recognize items as taxable when take-out or delivery is not selected?

Right now, I have those products set up as taxable then I choose Options > Tax Exempt1 to not charge tax.  Is there an automated way to avoid this extra step?

Thanks for your help.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Taxed and not taxed, that is the question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 10:35:59 AM »
What about creating a generic Take-Out customer that is tax excempt.  Just select that customer to set the sale to tax excempt.

Offline Deli-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:54:54 PM »
Thanks for the quick suggestion.  It would work for some customers.  But with California sales tax laws, cold sandwiches take-out are not taxable, but hot sandwiches, in all cases, are taxable.  So if a customer orders both a hot and cold sandwich, this solution won't work.  Hopefully there is a product specific solution.  Otherwise, I think I'll have to use the item edit (not options>tax exempt).

Thanks again.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 05:39:56 AM »
I thought that tax rule was under $4?

Offline cosy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:30:47 AM »
Declan here from Ireland and we have the same problem here.A cold sandwich is tax free for take out but taxable if eaten on the premises.Some other products are the same,is it possible when takeout is selected that it prompts if item selected is taxable or not.

Offline Deli-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 10:24:59 AM »
In California, the price of the item has no bearing on whether or not the sale is taxable.  And the rule(80-80 rule as CA calls it) my business fall under is different than a business who sells primarily hot food (burger places); gotta luv it, lol.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 04:03:23 PM »
With so many rules around the world I'm thinking the best we can do is add a button to set an item, during the time of sale, as tax free.

UPDATE
On version 13 we added a No-Tax1 button in the Items Toolbox.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 05:28:06 AM by ronaldrwl »

Offline ellegado

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 05:05:44 PM »
It's a good idea but like you said so many rules around the world. I saw the remove tax item but it only does it on one tax like Tax 1 some places uses tax 1 and tax 2 and it won't eliminate the second tax. you can have a 6% for the state tax 1 and 1% for the city tax 2.

but good topic. thanks

Offline moresby

• View Profile
    • Moresby Hall
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 03:18:56 AM »
Would two or more product codes do the trick, one for hot food (taxed) - one for cold (noTax).  Sell them as a service and you wont need to mess with the stock control side?