Author Topic: Single / Case products entered in inport text file  (Read 7837 times)

Offline Ches

• View Profile
Single / Case products entered in inport text file
« on: June 12, 2011, 03:07:09 PM »
I have oveer 300 products which pull from cases and have the data available in my spreadsheets. I had asked via email before on how to do that but the answer was vague. Please expand. Here is how you answered before just so you know what we are talking about:

"Hi, The link information is included in the product export/import.  But it would
be hard for a person to add that manually.
Yes, you can use the Item# of an existing product in the Wizard to create
Single / Case products connection.

Support
Denver Research

Also I have version 13 but when I do a Import it only lists version 11 and earlier. Please advise if this if OK or if I am not doing something correct. Thank you.

Ches

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Single / Case products entered in inport text file
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:21:26 AM »
To connect singles and cases use the Tools / Define Product and Case.  I've never tired to connect them manually in Excel.

Offline Ches

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:15:37 AM »
Is it possible to do so though? I have over 300 with that relationship all laid out on my spreadsheet. erhaps I can send it to you and you can plug it in?

Also is it OK that my version 13 only allows choice 11 when importing?

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:51:15 PM »
Yes, the 11 import works.
Don't send it to me.  I've never tried to do it in Excel.  You would have to set the link ID's and bit options.  Way harder than just using the Wizard.

Offline Ches

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »
Another question - Would in any way the Location feature - having the same product in multiple locations (2) effect the case/each relationship? 
I noticed if I imported inventory in a small location (labeled as Wall Lake) then imported my main inventory without a location label the Wall Lake product writes over the non labeled products. I am about to do a test labeling my main location as "HQ" and see if the products do indeed stay separate...

That said, when I empty a case would it pull from the other location (which is fine in my case) or would it jam the system? The products at our Wall Lake location are of older stock thus lower price and the Case/Each tool pulls up the price of that location the first time I tried it before I had my HQ location labeled. In other words it didn't average the price..

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:36:16 PM »
The location field is not used for anything except to help you locate products.  It should have no effect on cases, etc..

Offline Ches

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 06:01:31 AM »
What happens is when you import a new inventory list with items in a new location which happen to be existing items at a current labeled location, the inventory list strikes over the old location with the new.

In other words I had 3 gallons of antifreeze at the HQ then in my new inventory import I had 3 gallons added to Wall Lake. Now the database says 6 gallons at Wall Lake. When I sell 3 the inventory still reports 3 more at Wall Lake. Seems the inventory won't create a 2nd line for the location of the same product. Not a big problem but an observation. I think the best thing to do is just keep the smaller inventory on paper and mix them together as it works this way..

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 06:03:21 AM »
That is correct.  There is only one location for each product.