Author Topic: Networked Version:- Some wins - some losses...  (Read 4116 times)

Offline JohnBlyth

• View Profile
Networked Version:- Some wins - some losses...
« on: February 22, 2021, 01:34:46 AM »
I have recently upgraded to the networked version, and I had some real problems getting the slave to see the Server DR14 folder share. Windows 10 makes it really hard, and the section on Networking in the Ez Power manual is probably a decade or more out of date!

I couldn't get the Slave version to pick up the share from the Master (sharing that was straightforward), so after many hours of frustration, I did this:-
  • I went to "My PC" Explorer on the Slave and added a "Network Location" to point to \\MasterPc\Documents. However, that pointer didn't appear in the "My PC" listing of the dialogue box to point the Slave to the Master when starting the Slave for the first time, which was most unexpected. Of course the Master didn't show up on the Network section of Explorer either.
  • So, after some hours, I finally tried MAPPING the added Network Location to Z: Drive
  • At LONG last, I could finally see that drive Z: in "My PC" when I started Ez Power on the Slave and I was able navigate to the EZP folder on the Master via the Slave Z: Drive!
While on the subject of setting up a Networked version:-
  • Is there any elegant way to synchronise the pics folders across Master and Slaves. It seems a pain to have to manually copy the folder across every time a small change is made.
  • Similarly, what is the best way to make the "look and feel" of the Slave match that of the Master. I'm thinking particularly of the Sales Screen Button layout etc, but no doubt there are other settings that need to be mirrored in some way.

Many thanks
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Networked Version:- Some wins - some losses...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 06:31:11 AM »
Security on Windows 10 is more strict.  We have a section for Windows 10 which is certainly not 10 years old.  There is also information for older versions of Window.  Being able to share documents does not normally require mapping the drive.  I've set up the network version on W10 many times and have never mapped a drive.  The instructions under Windows 10 have never failed me.  I've walked many a customer through those instructions on the phone.  Networks can be setup in complicated ways that require an expert.  I have only encountered that at large institutions like schools.

You can copy the pictures from the server.  Open the Product Control window.  Use the Tools / Load Picture Files From Server.  This function may require the security settings to be changed temporarily.

The sales screen tool configuration is not fixed or restricted to mirror the server.  Each station can have a custom configuration depending on the needs of the station.  In the Settings / Starter you can configure the station to a default setup and then customize from there.

Offline JohnBlyth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 04:05:12 PM »
Thanks for the prompt reply as always. I must apologise. I must have been looking at the old manual, as indeed there is a reference to Windows 10 in the Networked version's Help. I had copied across the original DR14 folder which of course overwrote the newer Manual version. Sorry. I have slapped myself firmly ;-)

Windows 10 seems to work in mysterious ways, and certainly in my case, the only way I could see the Master Shared folder in the Slave when looking for it when starting the Slave in Ez Power was to map the Master Drive on the Slave. But mapping did resolve the issue for me.

Concerning the Sales Screen, is there a config file that could be copied across to the slave to simplify the setting up a slave without effecting anything else?

Many thanks
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 06:11:01 AM »
The file that saves the tools layout includes other settings.  In the DR14 folder it's "LocalFileNames.plf".