Author Topic: Z-out on new register hangs ezPower  (Read 6436 times)

Offline jcmore

• View Profile
Z-out on new register hangs ezPower
« on: April 15, 2020, 01:20:12 PM »
Hi Ronald
I just replaced a broken register with a new one and assigned the same register number as the one it replaced. I installed ezPower(V13) using the install exec I received originally. All seems fine until I try to Z-out this new till. When I do, the ezPower program stops responding on all other registers and the only way to get them back is to reboot all registers(the server appears to be fine). The main difference with this new register is that it is running Windows 7 where all others(including the server) are running XP. I've searched thru this forum for possible causes with no luck. I have double checked firewalls, sharing parameters etc and everything looks fine. I have reset Z-out to the current date. The register works perfectly fine until I hit Z-out then everything just stops. Any ideas?

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Z-out on new register hangs ezPower
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 05:30:01 AM »
This is the 10 year old program and database that was running slow?
My guess is it's just taking a long time to z-out.  Open the "View Optimize Points" to double check how far back the z-out is trying to go.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 05:32:12 AM »
Also, it could be the Anti-virus / security software is scanning all the data exchanges which is causing the z-out to run slow.  Make sure the POS.exe has full access privileges on the new computer.

Offline jcmore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 07:51:08 AM »
Thanks Ronald
I have double checked access privileges and all looks fine there. I found a post from 2014 that talks about ezPower ver 13.8xx that addresses z-out crashes on Windows 7. How can I check the version number on this register?

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 09:02:31 AM »
Go to the Help / About.  Make sure all the computers are running the same version#.  There was no problem with doing the z-out under normal opperation.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:07:06 AM by ronaldrwl »

Offline jcmore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 09:26:29 AM »
Thanks Ronald
I checked the server and both registers and they are all at 13.583. Is there a new version you can send or should I just go to 14. The customer name is Sunnyside Supermarket in Celista, BC

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 12:49:42 PM »
I wouldn't update to 14 while still using XP.  Otherwise 14 is way better.

Offline jcmore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 03:29:05 PM »
OK....is there a 13.8 that resolves the z-out issue on Windows 7?

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 05:11:35 AM »
There was no issue with v13 doing a z-out.  It's always something else like in your case where there are other problems.  I would send you the last build of 13.8x but it's not going to work on XP.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 04:13:43 AM by ronaldrwl »

Offline jcmore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 10:27:37 AM »
Okay, please do. Can't hurt to give it a try just on the Win 7 register. If it doesn't work then I might consider downgrading the new one to XP or upgrading the old ones to Win 7

Offline jcmore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 09:13:06 PM »
Hi Ronald
Just an update on this issue. I noticed that Z-out was actually moving data(from Ethernet status) so I asked that the customer run it at the end of the day to see if it finishes by morning and sure enough, it completed in about 1 hr. Afterwards it runs normally and quickly every time so issue appears to be resolved. Not sure why but I'm guessing it has something to do with replacing the till and then allowing the system to do one complete z-out to clean things up?? I have no idea but its working now. Thanks for all your help on this.
John

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 04:21:39 AM »
Good to hear!
Look at my first post!  Always go with your first idea :)