Author Topic: Win 10 Upgrade removed HOMEGROUP, can no longer find .EZP folder  (Read 5221 times)

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
So with the recent Win 10 upgrade that came out, Windows is getting rid of Homegroup.  So there goes our system link for our 2 systems and the one can no longer find the .EZP folder.  I can't figure out without a hopmegroup how to have the one system now find the .EZP folder, any ideas?
Sunglass Shack
Virginia Beach, VA | Norfolk, VA
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 Upgrade removed HOMEGROUP, can no longer find .EZP folder
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 02:37:41 PM »
I've never used Homegroup.   There is no reason to that I know of.  Just use the regular networking pathing.

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:07:06 AM »
It's kinda crazy of me I can use HTML, C++, etc but I've never networked.  They said they have made it easier in the newest release where they took away homegroup however I cannot for the life of me figure out how to see the .ezp folder on the other computer.  Any tips on the steps I need to take to currently share that folder to computer station #2.  As of now, we cannot use POS #2 until we figure out how to see the other computer.  Thanks
Sunglass Shack
Virginia Beach, VA | Norfolk, VA
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 06:48:35 AM »
What usually happens is a Windows update changes the sharing settings.  Open the Help window and Read the Help Doc on Network Setup.  I'll put some of it here but it's better to read the Help doc with pictures.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:51:42 AM by ronaldrwl »

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 06:49:34 AM »
Windows 8 & 10:
Install the software on the server.
Run the software and press the Help button.  Press the Database button.
A window will open.  This is database location.
Right click on the “ezp” folder and select “Properties”.  Click on Sharing.
Click on Advanced Sharing button.
Check Share this folder box.
Click on Permissions.  Select Everyone and check Allow: Full control. – OK

Also, you may need to give the POS.exe (ezPower) permission on your registers to access the server.  For example, on Windows 8 open the Control Panel / System and Security / Windows Firewall.  Select the option to “Allow apps to communicate through firewall”.  Add the POS.exe (Program Files / ezPower POS 14) to the 'Allowed' list.

Also, you may need to check your Network Status.  Open the windows Settings. Click on Network and Internet.  Click on Status (left side). Click on Change Connection Properties. Assuming you are on your own private network, select Private. 

Sharing Over Network
The file sharing may need to be turned on.  Here are some examples.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 06:50:10 AM »
More...  (It's better to read the Help Doc with pictures)

Windows 7:
Open the Windows Control Panel.  Click on System and Security.  Click on “Allow a program through Windows Firewall”.  Click on “Change settings”.  Click on “Allow another program...”  Select the POS program (POS.exe) and click on the Add button.

Vista:
Open the Windows Control Panel.  Open the Security Center.  Click on “Windows Firewall”.  Click on “Allow a program through Windows Firewall”.  Click on “Add program...” .  Select the POS program (POS.exe) and click on the OK button.

Windows 7: Open any folder and expose the Navigation Panel.  Open the Libraries / Documents.  You will see the DR14 folder here.

Windows 8: C:\Users\Public\Documents\DR14.

Right click on the “ezp” folder and select “Sharing and Security”.  Check the box “Share this folder on the network”.  Check the box “Allow network users to change my files”.

Windows 10: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\DR14.

Right click on the “ezp” folder and select Properties.  Click on the Sharing tab.

All Windows versions need to also:
Click on Advanced Sharing...   Check the box “Share this folder”.  Click on Permissions.  Select Everyone and check the box “Full Control”.  Click OK and OK.  Now in the ezp Properties window again click on the link “Network and Sharing Center”.  Under Guest or Public “Turn on network discovery” and “Turn on file and printer sharing”.  Open All Networks and “Turn on sharing...”, “Turn OFF password protected sharing”.