Author Topic: Handling charge  (Read 5522 times)

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
    • Ocean Beaches Glassblowing & Gallery
Handling charge
« on: August 02, 2017, 06:35:46 AM »
Along with revising how we handle Shipping charges, I'm considering the use of the Handling Charge that shows up with every transaction.  It appears pretty easy to use - just click on it to add a charge.

I'm wondering, though, how it's reconciled at the end of the day.  The money shows up on Sales Reports and Z-outs, but with no indication of what the money was for.

I realize that Handling is not exactly a "product", but I'm not sure how we'd use it if there's no sign of what it's total is at the end of the day.

Or am I missing something?

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Handling charge
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 07:13:07 AM »
The Sales Detail report will break out the different numbers for your accounting.  I'm not sure where you are headed with this question (profit/loss?).

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
I'm just wondering about end-of-day reconciliation - to balance money in with charges made.  It's looking like I could have $1,000 charged to Handling for the day, and I can't find any report that addresses what that $1,000 was for.

I notice that Tax shows up automatically in a similar way during checkout.  I don't use it (we don't have Sales Tax), but I'd imagine the taxes collected would go into some report.  Is there something similar for Handling?

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:10:35 AM »
Maybe I should be more specific.  For our shipping, I want to have one component of the shipping charge be the actual charge we have to pay to USPS or UPS, and the other component to be the shipping materials (we ship almost nothing but glass, so it has to be double boxed - so materials get pretty expensive).

I know I could just add an amount onto whatever UPS is going to charge us, but I was thinking that it might be kind of nice to itemize it for the customer - and be able to tell that the cashier has added the Materials expense. 

My first inclination was to create a Product for the Materials, and charge that way.  But that Handling charge is just sitting there - for every single transaction - and not doing anything.  I thought maybe I could put it to use, but I'd need to be able to find the results of its use somewhere.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 10:56:48 AM »
The Sales Detail report

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 04:32:50 PM »
Hey, there it is!  I just wasn't thinking of having to specify the parameter for it, I guess.  Thanks!