Author Topic: Shipping and Weight in Product Edit  (Read 6026 times)

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
    • Ocean Beaches Glassblowing & Gallery
Shipping and Weight in Product Edit
« on: July 26, 2017, 12:16:44 PM »
I've always wondered about utilizing the Shipping and Weight fields for a product.  In experimenting, though, and using products where I've added data, I can't find anywhere else that it shows up.  Or is that only for Webgen?

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping and Weight in Product Edit
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 04:25:47 PM »
How would you like to use it?

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 07:32:44 AM »
Well, I see three different fields currently in EZP that could be involved - the "weight" and "shipping" in Product Edit, and the "Handling" in the Sales window.  It looks like the "Handling" is just added manually during a sale.
 It seems like the "shipping" is most likely what I've paid to have the item shipped to me (though I can't figure out how to get that to work, either).  It seems that the "weight" field could really be used only for calculating a shipping charge to someone purchasing the item.   

So, if there would be some way that the total weight (I don't think individual weights being visible would be necessary) could show up at the time of transaction (and prior to payment), we'd have a relatively simple way of determining the shipping charge.  We have a nice "calculator" now that covers both UPS and USPS, and just have to enter zip and weight to get a solid estimate.  Then, as we do currently, we can have a Product for shipping that we use for the charge.

We'd need a way of bulk-entering the weights.  The way we can currently change an entire column in Product Edit is fantastic, and they'd probably need to be tweaked on occasion (the new "dimensional weight" system has a few variables that may not be evident at first).

Of course, some kind of system where the zip code is automatically tied to the weights and automatically spits out a shipping charge would be extremely nice, but with the way charges vary between shipper and change over time (not to mention the complexity of programming it, I'd imagine), it's hard to see that as being feasible. 

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
Calculating the total weight sounds possible.  If there is a dimensional weight issue that would have to be accounted for in the weight field.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 10:52:43 AM »
We sent you an update.  Add the function "Weight" to your sales screen.  You can check the weight of the order at any time.

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 12:27:28 PM »
Wow, that looks great! 

Indeed, the dimensional weight is what I'd have to enter, which wouldn't be a problem.

Just one thing - is there a way to enter weight values other than one at a time?  In Product Edit, there are scads of fields I can change easily, but I don't see weight in there.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 04:59:06 AM »
Open the Product Control and use the Tools / Spreadsheet Edit Listed.
This will open all the listed products in a spreadsheet style edit window.

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 08:59:43 AM »
When did you sneak that feature in there?  It works great - thanks!

I sure appreciate your willingness to pursue this.  I've filled out the spot on your site for Custom Work - it's very much worth it!

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 09:28:33 AM »
Thank you!
To quote Spock (sort of): Sometimes the needs of the few reflect the needs of the many.