Author Topic: small problem with Product Location  (Read 7792 times)

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
    • Ocean Beaches Glassblowing & Gallery
small problem with Product Location
« on: February 15, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »
I'm thinking that the Location field is the best way to differentiate whether an item can be found in-store, on our website, or both. 

I'm aware of at least a couple of ways of sorting items by Location.  One is in the Product Control window.  Another, I think, is by creating a report using Report/Inventory/List by Location.  However, that brings up the list of Suppliers, not Locations.  Is this just a little glitch?

Thanks.

Bob

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: small problem with Product Location
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:56:08 PM »
I believe that report will sort items by location from a specified vendor.  So, both are used.

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:55:20 AM »
Okay, it does look like it gives location if you enter a vendor. 

I can't find any way to add more than one Location for a single product, and there's no apparent way to run a report for more than one Supplier at a time - so it seems that the Report by Location is kind of limited. I have probably more than 50 suppliers, and only 2 locations, so it probably wouldn't help me any.

It does look like the Location field works well within the Product Control window, though!

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 08:20:08 AM »
For each SKU there is only one inventory value.  So there is no way to have more than one location for a SKU.

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 10:03:35 AM »
I can see how an SKU would be location-specific for some things.  We have back-stock for some items for which they do have unique product #’s, and generate a cost-neutral PO to change them (i.e., their item #’s) from back-stock to “active” inventory. 

However, for items we sell on our website, I want to mirror the item #’s we use in our POS system.  We enter all online orders into the POS system, and it's by far easiest to use the same product numbers.  We use other means to differentiate online from in-store sales, and doing this allows us to keep all sales info AND inventory levels in a single database. 

What I need to do next, then, is allow our clerks to easily (i.e., without going to the website) identify what we offer online and whether we have it in stock.  I thought that adding the Location of "online" would be an easy way to do this.  I don't need to use more than one Location - the default store inventory is simply no Location, and a Location of “online" signifies a sub-set of that inventory.  I'd like to generate a report to show which items are in the "online" Location, for instance, but since the report is Supplier-specific rather than Location-specific, it's really not of any use. 

With using Location, we’d similarly benefit in being able to track those "back-stock" items I mentioned.  Besides them having unique item #’s, they’re also in separate Categories (5-6 of them), so report by Category requires multiple reports.  And I don’t want them in their own Department, since they’d be such a prominent part of the product grid in the Sales Window.  Currently, then, I have no way of creating a single report to identify/track them, either.

Sorry to go on at such length, but I'm not sure you could know what I'm trying to do without getting some detail. Is there a better way than "Location" to be able to look at these items?  Or could I pay for a custom report?  It would be worth it to me.

Thanks.

Bob

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 06:16:15 AM »
What about a inventory report that only listed Web-products?

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 06:45:35 AM »
A report would be great.  As the current Inventory "List by Location" lets you choose by Supplier, it would work nicely if it let you choose by Location.

And there would be more than one such Location.  For instance, we have an isolated backup stock of one of our sets of products that has high turnover.

Is there a way to do that?   

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 10:20:42 AM »
No, for the reason already covered.  Each sku has one inventory quantity and one location.

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 11:11:52 AM »
Hey, I got this update with this interesting Web Products report!  I'm just wondering how to indicate in Product Control whether an item is a Web Product or not.  Where do I do that?  Right now it looks like just about everything is a Web Product.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:48:03 PM by rjsmeyer »

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 02:06:49 PM »
Under the Options tab check Hide From WebGen

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »
Hey, that makes sense, doesn't it?  It looks like it works, too! 

Thanks!

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 07:21:56 AM »
One other thing...  Is there any way to toggle to "Hide from Webgen" other than by doing it item by item?

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 10:53:18 AM »
Not yet but I think we can do something.