Author Topic: How to handle doubles with a discount.  (Read 5003 times)

Offline GRCBar

• View Profile
How to handle doubles with a discount.
« on: August 24, 2016, 12:26:53 PM »
GRCBar vers. 14

I am wondering if there is an easier way to handle double shots than entering a separate entry for a "Next Bigger" item.

We offer our customers a discounted second shot if they order a double. For example, if they order a double of something that is normally $9 a shot, the second shot is sold at $7, for a total of $16 on the drink. We currently do that through a modifier, which has two major limitations. One is a limited number of modifiers available, which means that after a point, we no longer have enough entries to account for higher priced items. The second is that the modifier does not account for inventory. So if we sell a double, the system only sells 1 shot. So if we get 16 shots from a bottle and we sell 8 doubles out of it, the bottle will be empty but inventory will still show 8 shots left.

I tried adding a quantity discount, but it does not handle it exactly as I would like. It applies the discount to the whole sale. So lets say the customer orders one double and a single, he would get both items (three shots total) at the discounted price ($21,) rather than just one (total of $25.)

The other question I have is, if I have to set up new items, how do I connect them to my bottle inventory? Currently, all of our bottle/shot inventory is set up as Case/Single.

Thanks.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to handle doubles with a discount.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 01:01:06 PM »
Do you want it easy to use or easy to setup?  If you want easy to use, I think having two items (single and double) would be the easiest to use.  This is like soda drinks (small, medium, large).  Some places like setting it up with one button that will give the waiter a window with the three options (sml, med, lrg).  It's easy to use but more work to set up.  Or, have three buttons on the sales screen for each size.  The Next Bigger or Smaller is good for changing an order.
So, how do you want to proceed?  Easy to setup or easy to use?

Offline GRCBar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 03:07:11 PM »
Easy to use is the better option I think. If, when we enter a drink order, the system asks if it is a single or double would be better as long as the inventory is handled properly.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 03:19:12 PM »
Create a product for a single and one for a double.  Create a link product that has the single and double products as add-ons.  In the link product change the Sell selection to Link.

Offline GRCBar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 11:33:56 AM »
How do I connect them so that the inventory is handled properly? The linked item sets itself up as a Service/No Inventory item, and creating the second item for the double cracks open another bottle from the inventory.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 07:17:46 AM »
Use the Tools / Define Product and Case in the Product Control window.  This can connect products.