Author Topic: inventory by modifier?  (Read 5434 times)

Offline tjacobs

• View Profile
inventory by modifier?
« on: December 01, 2015, 03:21:01 PM »
is there a way to have the inventory by a modifier?
say i sell shirts and i have multiple sizes and color.
can i have the inventory based on size and color?
right now i can break it by size with multiple items but would like to have the inventory base on color so when i need to order i know i have 12 red but zero blue. instead of 12 total.
I would like to have on item but multiple modifier based inventory if possible?

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: inventory by modifier?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 07:48:48 AM »
Try the report Products / Modifier Detail.

A modifier should not be a different product.  It was intend for things like Steak + Cooked med rare.  For shirts that have different colors and sizes, each one should have it's own sku or UPC.  You can use the Tools / New Matrix in the Product Control to create the shirts.

Offline tjacobs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 07:48:34 AM »
I have way to many variations to have each size and color a different product. it would be in the 100,000 range.

Thanks

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 05:20:53 AM »
Just my 2 cents but I agree with Ronald.  Using this software as well for retail each individual item within a product needs an individual SKU.  Same as when you go into JCPenney or Macy's, each size and color shirt has its own unique SKU.  I use this software for sunglasses and Ray Ban has a style called the Aviator.  Well within the Aviator there are different sizes (size  55, 58 and 62) and within those 3 different sizes, each size may have 25-45 different color options.  Each option in each size has a unique SKU even though they are all "the Aviator" RB3025.  It's important for inventory tracking, returns, reports, etc for all to have unique skus.  I have thousands and thousands of unique SKUs and it sounds like you will have MANY more, so I feel your pain.  But again, look at how every single department/clothing store does it, all unique SKUs.

Although I agree it is very time consuming to build your database, I have 3 years invested in constantly building my Product Database but it's finally getting to the point it's perfect.  And it's something no one else can just easily copy and do, they would have to put the time in to get it right.  Good luck but honestly putting in the time is worth it in the end for what you need.
Sunglass Shack
Virginia Beach, VA | Norfolk, VA
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
    • Ocean Beaches Glassblowing & Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 12:21:22 PM »
I've found it to be useful, too, to have individual items to cover all the variables.

What Ronald said is right.  I've limited my use of Modifiers and Add-ons to variables that are not important to me to track.  There's just not the tracking I want for them over the long run (but I see how they could be useful for something like pizzas).

In case you're not doing it, it would pay to become familiar with exporting inventory to Excel, adding your multitude of items there, and then importing it back into EZP.  You can do it with your entire inventory, or whatever small section of it you'd like.   It does seem a little formidable at first, but it gets easier - and then it gets to be indispensable! 

Courtright is right in that if you want to get your inventory set up in a way that's going to be useful, you're going to have to spend some time with it.  I've changed things significantly a number of times, as I figure out what works and what doesn't. 

My latest modification I've done for your kind of situation is to use a series of 5 digits for the "primary" item, and then 1 or 2-character alpha suffixes for the variables within that item.  It still gives me unique items, but lets us easily recognize that various colors belong in the same item group - kind of like taking Departments and Categories to a third level.  The way EZP is set up, it's incredibly flexible with how you can work with your inventory.