Author Topic: Found a flaw where employees could possibly steal merchandise.  (Read 22166 times)

Offline rjmeyer

• View Profile
Re: Found a flaw where employees could possibly steal merchandise.
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 10:34:25 AM »
So you can audit everything done in "Adjust Stock" even if no report is generated?  How do you do that?

It took a minute to figure out your procedure.  I would have never thought of stretching it into a two-step process.  So you really don't add the quantity at the time the Quick Add is done?  Are you not able to track what's been entered in Quick-Add?  (I have no idea, since I don't use it) 

Okay, let's say that's the only way you can audit the numbers - that you can audit what your person is doing - is if "Adjust Stock" is used (and I don't know that that's the case), and that you can NOT if the quantity is added during "Quick Add"   If that's the case, wouldn't it be more straightforward to just see whether Quick-Add can be made to be audit-able in the same way it sounds like "Adjust Stock" is? 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:25:32 PM by rjmeyer »

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 05:51:59 AM »
So you can audit everything done in "Adjust Stock" even if no report is generated?  How do you do that?

So, in my opinion "Adjust Stock" should be the only way in which inventory is added to or removed from your POS System, hence the name "Adjust Stock".  So, once inventory is scanned you can either add it to stock with "Add to Stock" or remove it with "Send to Shortage".  The great thing about having all inventory go through this channel is at any time you can run a report on both. 

For inventory add it is: REPORTS > INVENTORY > ADJUST

For inventory removed it is: REPORTS > INVENTORY > SHORTAGE

So, once a week a manager will run a shortage report so I can verify if anything was removed without my doing.

Now, when new product arrives (and lets just say it is already been in the system so it's just more stock of that item) they just got to "Inventory Adjust", scan it and add it to stock.  Now, once finished, they go to "REPORTS > INVENTORY > ADJUST (select Today's Date)" and print that report and staple it to the packing slip and file it away in a folder on my desk.  So now I can compare the packing slip that says 14 items were shipped (and it shows all their info) and make sure 14 of the exact same items were scanned in.  Also, I hold on to my original purchase orders to make sure everything actually makes it to the store and nothing is stolen before it gets scanned in.  Once scanned in, I combine the original purchase order, the packing slip and "Adjust Stock Report" all together.  This is the only instance in which inventory can ever be deducted or added to my POS System.  All other functions are disabled for anyone but the Admin because of security settings.

(CONTINUED....)
Sunglass Shack
Virginia Beach, VA | Norfolk, VA
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 05:52:24 AM »
(Part 2)
Upon creating a product for the first time, my manager ONLY uses "QUICK ADD" because of how basic it is and allowing her any other access would then give her the ability to change inventory levels, which no owner would want their manager doing when they have $300,000 worth of products on hand.  So she creates a new product this way, leaves the stock empty or at zero and then scan it in through inventory adjust so there is a paper trail.  But as explained thoroughly before, if she sets it to -1 Stock upon its initial creation and then still adds it to inventory the report shows it was added to inventory but in reality the inventory now says zero
since it started at -1.
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 05:58:45 AM »
(PART 3)
It took a minute to figure out your procedure.  I would have never thought of stretching it into a two-step process.  So you really don't add the quantity at the time the Quick Add is done?  Are you not able to track what's been entered in Quick-Add?  (I have no idea, since I don't use it) 

We do not add the Quantity at the time "Quick Add" is done for the sole purpose that it cannot be tracked with a report.  So again, if your manager gets in a $500 product that we have never had in the system before and creates it from scratch using Quick Add and sets the inventory to 0 and you don't add it in via "Adjust Stock" how do you know she even added it in?  You might say, "well as an owner you should know if a $500 item is out for sale on your floor." But in reality, it's a spec of sand on a beach.  We're a sunglass store with thousands of sunglasses ..... thousands upon thousands in stock and displayed.  As long as inventory count is right, not realizing a style was never put out is almost impossible.  Especially when we're open 7 days a week in the Summer from 9am until midnight.  It's like a manager not putting out a set of stainless steel 1/4" x 3" bolts at Home Depot.  How long would it take for the Owner of H.D. to not realize those bolts never made it to the floor?  If there's not a series of check-in reports he would never know.
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 06:12:47 AM »
(PART 4)
Okay, let's say that's the only way you can audit the numbers - that you can audit what your person is doing - is if "Adjust Stock" is used (and I don't know that that's the case), and that you can NOT if the quantity is added during "Quick Add"   If that's the case, wouldn't it be more straightforward to just see whether Quick-Add can be made to be audit-able in the same way it sounds like "Adjust Stock" is?
Possibly, but that honestly seems more work then simply deleting the beginning Stock allowment through "Quick Add" or not allowing negative numbers using "Quick Add".

You see, if a business owner is not checking to make sure reports are being run on items checked into inventory then their manager in charge might as well have access to creating new Products through Product Control or Product Edit.  Quick Add, which is a very basic way to add inventory, shouldn't then also allow anyone to mess with inventory levels at all.  The most important thing I can say to that is "Quick Add" doesn't allow for all the custom ways of setting up a Product like Product Edit does.  It's a stripped down version of it with just the basics.  If that is so why even give someone the opportunity to steal when inventory can just be checked in afterwards using the correct way of Inventory Adjust? and therefore tracked with Reports.  Allowing someone else besides the owner to create a product with "Quick Add" but also let them set beginning inventory isn't a safe procedure.  The perfect example is the one I keep saying over and over..... (continued)
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 06:13:59 AM »
(PART 5 )

1. Manager gets in a new $500 Product
2. Adds it using "Quick Add"
3. Sets stock to -1
4. Checks it in using "Adjust Stock" (so they can prove it was checked in via Reports)
5. Selects "Add to Stock"
6. Product is now at a stock of zero after 1 was checked in
7. Manager steals it
8. Inventory count is still dead on because product (although checked in) is at a stock of zero, up from its initial creation of -1 Stock.

This is something I really really think should be addressed, either removing the ability to set Stock altogether and checking it in via "Inventory Adjust" or simply adjusting the code to not allow negative numbers, you can use zero or anything higher.  But there should NEVER be a reason to start a new product with negative stock.  If you put in -1 and try to submit it a pop-up box would appear saying [Negative values are not allowed for "Stock" field], forcing the person to leave it at least at zero or setting it to whichever value they want if they choose to not add inventory to their system via "Inventory Adjust"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:15:37 AM by Courtright »
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline rjmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
First, with all your examples, it seems that allowing ANY quantity to be entered in Quick-Add is not a good idea.  If what you say is true and there's no way to audit it, why would you want to allow ANY manipulation of quantity in there?

Besides that, though - and to wander from the software itself for a moment - I think it's easy to go too far down that path of agonizing over employee dishonesty.  I really don't think any business is ever going to be able to plug up every possible form of employee theft, and I don't think any piece of software is going to prevent it if a person is determined and has any sort of computer skills.  I've worked with inventory-related software with perpetual inventories for 20-25 years now, and have yet to see one where inventory does not have to be corrected from time to time for reasons not related to pilferage. 

I had my business going for 2-3 years before I brought in employees, and I had one hell of a time adjusting to having to trust someone else.  I eventually decided that I either had to trust them implicitly or get rid of them.  And I continue to watch for signs of anything under-handed going on, but I'd have been forced by ulcers or something years ago if I focused on every last bit of minutiae. 

I try to reward my employees generously - partially to enhance their "buy-in" to want the business to so well, but also to keep them from feeling the urge to "even up" by resorting to something like theft.  I feel that this approach has done well for me, as I'm celebrating my 10th year in business this year with both sales and profits continuing to improve substantially. 

But yeah, maybe "quantity" should not be allowed to be entered in Quick-Add.

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 05:30:54 AM »
Thank you for understanding the flaw I found.  I try to find these flaws before my employees do and this is pretty much the only one I can see left where it's impossible to allow a manager to add new product but also stop theft.  If this issue was resolved, then using my kind of security settings and having inventory only checked-in/shortaged through "Inventory Adjust" then I don't see any possible way an employee could ever manipulate inventory levels. I've tried it.

I agree with you on how to treat employees so they're vested in your business and care about it.  I started this store 14 years ago and actually have not had a single "brand name" sunglass stolen by an employee luckily.  Even if I have the most honest people working for me, trust is always still a huge issue with me since I have been burned so many times in the past on a personal trust level with half a dozen people, even my brother stealing thousands from me.  So, I cover myself so I don't have to worry so much.

Ronald, did my thorough explanation in the previous replies better help you understand the flaw and how it's the only situation in which inventory levels are not reported?  Would you guys consider not allowing negative numbers in Quick Add?
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 06:19:16 AM »
Ronald, I was hoping the better explanation in my 5 part reply would help you understand the situation and flaw in the "Quick Add" System.

I am pretty sure that anyone using your software adding inventory the correct way (with checks and balances) would definitely like a resolve.  Just by not allowing negative numbers in Quick Add would fix this issue.  It's the only flaw in my system where a manager can steal merchandise and there is no way to track it.  I know you believe shrinkage should be considered "part of retail" but for 14 years of business I have never had a single brand name pair come up missing or stolen by an employee because of our strict inventory checking, twice a day.  However, if one was taken out upon creation via "Quick Add" I would never have known.
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 12:53:02 PM »
We get a 1000 request every year for that one super import, I have to have it feature.  Everyone runs their business a different way.  I seem to remember we've addressed several of your request.  Just hold your hat on.

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 01:38:55 PM »
Yeah, I completely understand.  You've addressed numerous things I've brought up but I hope you understand I can make due with the initial program the way I purchased it, being someone who used to code for 8 years I guess I'm more interested in "helping out."  I simply am trying to offer my assistance to help you have the best software on the market without loop-holes like these.  I always figure things can't progress for the better if others didn't make us aware of things that could possibly be improved upon.  In the end, I'm simply trying to help.   ;)
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 08:52:14 AM »
YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!   ;D

I'll be buying Version 14, does that include this stock issue update?
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 10:55:54 AM »
Yes, if it works out.