Author Topic: Can my manager alter "Product Name" without having access to change Quantity?  (Read 7171 times)

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
Since I am dealing with expensive items (up to $500 each) I don't allow anyone but myself access to Product Control for security/theft reasons.  However, there are times accidents are made when adding a new product and the name may need to be changed.  Or if we are going to discontinue something I add "****" in front of the name so I know on the "Sold Reports" to simply not order it anymore.  Can I allow my manager a way to alter the name of a Product without altering Quantity?

Thank you.

**PS - you guys thought of everything!  Thank you so much for the ability to offer BOGO and the fact it automatically knows to deduct from the lower priced items of the 2.  I'm implementing that feature soon and so glad you guys already thought of it in the software.
Sunglass Shack
Virginia Beach, VA | Norfolk, VA
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I can't think of any way.
Also, there is an Option / Discontinued for items for you're not selling.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:51:17 AM by ronaldrwl »

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
Thank you for your reply.  Could you explain how she can select to discontinue an item but not be allowed to alter inventory levels.  Only area I ever saw for discontinuing a product I thought was under Product Edit in which case there is the option to alter inventory levels.  Thank you.

And when a product is "discontinued" in the POS does it simply stop showing up in reports?  The way I do reordering is "REPORTS > SUPPLIER > SUPPLIER DETAIL EXTEND" because I can see what has sold and compare it to current stock on hand.  Even if a product has been discontinued it would still probably show up on my report of what has sold though correct?
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes, to set the Discontinue you must be in the Product Edit window.
Yes, the Discontinued items would still show up in reports but not in the sales window.

Offline rjmeyer

• View Profile
My question relates to the Discontinued Items, too.

Is there any way to tell - just by looking at Product Control - which items are Discontinued?  I use that function a lot, and also use the Product List a lot to work with items.

I find I need to add a similar "..." in front of the Description to let me know later on that it's Discontinued.  It seems like "Show/Hide More Fields" would be the place to activate something like that, but I don't see that kind of option.

Thanks!

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
My question relates to the Discontinued Items, too.

Is there any way to tell - just by looking at Product Control - which items are Discontinued?  I use that function a lot, and also use the Product List a lot to work with items.

I find I need to add a similar "..." in front of the Description to let me know later on that it's Discontinued.  It seems like "Show/Hide More Fields" would be the place to activate something like that, but I don't see that kind of option.

Thanks!
Ronald will need to interject but I really don't think so.  I know discontinued will just hide it from reports but not of course Product Control since you want to see everything.

(CONTINUED..........)
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
(........ continued 2nd post)

I think a great possible future addition to v14 Product Control would be another drop down box for "Discontinued" and the options would be "Show" and "Hide" this way you can easily Hide anything discontinued.  For me, as an example, I have a category for Oakley Sunglasses in which I have maybe 1,000 pairs of sunglasses, maybe 200 of which are discontinued models.  If when I scrutinize my Oakley stock I could quickly hide anything discontinued it would save me the hassle of having to look over those 200 frames that are discontinued.  Although a hassle, I do like adding **** in front of a discontinued product so I very quickly and easily know anytime I see those 4 stars it's discontinued.  This way if I ever wonder why a manager discounted a pair 20% OFF, well if I see it is discontinued then it's no big deal.  It would awesome if you could check mark the option that a product is discontinued and it would alter the name to add a ** or (D) in front of it so you could visually see it is discontinued.  Then you also have that visual representation to help you out with when coming across it during sales.  Or if you check stock of an item (let's pretend a customer calls to ask if you have something in stock) if you check on it and it has (D) in front of it showing you it's discontinued then maybe you can offer them a better price or a deal if they come in and buy it.
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com