Author Topic: Does not work in a domain.  (Read 11818 times)

Offline peter@wolftackle.com

• View Profile
Does not work in a domain.
« on: April 19, 2014, 07:24:22 AM »
Did you ever figure out why the software cannot locate files in a domain?

Since a domain is required for effective managment of computers, it is a valid point for anyone running more than one computer / workstation.

Also when will it begin to be wrapped in an installer program so it registers itself in Windows? I suspect the questions are related.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Does not work in a domain.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:45:41 AM »
1 - Start the program and press the Help button.
2 - Press the Database button. A window will open.
3 - Close the ezPower program.
4 - In the window that remains open, remove the LocalFileNames file.  Also, there should only be a ezp folder on the host/server computer.  Any other computer the ezp should be removed if it exist.
5 - Run the program.  It should begin the setup process for that station.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »
Followed directions. Restarting the program began the setup process. Software asked for register number. Answered, hit enter.  Next the main menu opens followed by popup window with "Generic Exception" message. Clicking OK button on popup window closes popup immediately followed by closing main menu. Same result every time we restart.

Tried redeleting LocalFileNames and using a different register number with the same results.

As a reminder, the software worked prior to joining the domain.

Copied ezp folder from the NAS. Now software starts and tring to "Connect" produces the same results.Window opens and immediately closes.

Offline astrong13

• View Profile
Error 5
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »
I have installed ezpower ver13 on my server all ok, installed on on work station running win 7 and all works fine when installing on another station using win 7 I get the message error 5 unable to read header , i tried it on another station using xp and got the same error. Can you shed some light for me?

Company starchick ltd

Thanks Austin

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 07:56:47 AM »
That error message always means it can't access the ezp files on the server.  It can see it but not read/write to it.  That can mean either anti-virus software or firewall software is blocking it.  Or, there is a sharing issue on the ezp folder.  The ezp must be shared, read, write, no password, and network discoverable.

Offline slovatt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »
Further to Ronalds answer I have also found that you need to create an exception in any firewalls, rather than just assuming that local traffic is permitted. If you do not create an exception I have found that you can get slow responses starting and completing transactions.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 05:06:38 PM »
Since it works fine in a primitive configuration but stops the moment the computer joins a domain it is a software issue unrelated to sharing, firewall or anti virus software. It appears to be a rights issue. I already tried opening massive holes in the software firewall without effect. I turned off the AV software at the same time without the software working.  I tired turning off both with no success. The user account retains read write privileges to the NAS. Our NAS is an older version of Samba that cannot join a Windows 2008 domain. Passwords have not changed.

My best guess is that due to this software not being registered in Windows it fails to inherit rights correctly. Alternatively it is not correctly accessing files using the valid logged in user account.

If the folder has to be shared without a password then it is a show stopper. No sane business owner would expose a shared folder without password on a network if it had internet access. Among other problems, they could not process cards with software.

I don't believe it is possible to set up a user account without password on our NAS. If it was we would not do it. Windows resolves user rights to the NAS.

Offline slovatt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 11:30:47 PM »
I have set this up and had it working on more than one domain.

You need to check folder permissions and also the share permissions..

Map a network drive to the folder and see if you can create and edit a text file.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
The file permissions work fine. I can read and edit files on the NAS . Permissions are controlled by Windows file services.

The Easy POS software will not allow the file location to be changed. When you click on the Connect link a small window pops up and disappers almost immediately. It was conected to the NAS prior to joining the domain. At that time it was no longer able to connect.

Once again, the computer has full read, write access rights to the file location.

It worked fine prior to joining a domain and has never worked since.

I can copy the files to the local drive and run the software fine from the local drive. Accessing remote files is not possible because of software problems in Easy POS.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »
To start fresh, open the DR13 folder and remove the LocalFileNames file.  This contains the link to the server.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 12:58:40 PM »
The latest is that a new Vista load worked fine. The EZPOS software was first installed after the computer had joiced the domain. It onnects and works perfectly.

The computer that stopped allowing connections to be edited after joining the domain still does not work as an EZPOS client.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 09:52:54 PM »
I would add that Steve from Microtrade (slovatt) has probably installed a 1000 systems of the software.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »
Thank you the update you provided fixed the problem.