Author Topic: Having a problem with Purchase Orders  (Read 11389 times)

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
Having a problem with Purchase Orders
« on: February 25, 2014, 08:24:27 AM »
Hello again,

So in Product Control under the "Ordering" tab on the right, I have a product in which the:

Order Point is "0"
Order Qty is "1"

(so when I run out of this I know to order 1 more of them)

I then have all 3 fields filled out for Supplier 1, the supplier, the cost and the item#.

So, we sold one of these yesterday and although I knew it I wanted to check the Purchase Order to see if it showed to order 1 of them.  The qty. for the item sold says "0" there but it is not telling me I am short any.  And under the column that just says "Order" all of them say "1".  Is that because it is showing me the order qty for each one when it falls below the order point?  Shouldn't it be showing a "1" for my out of stock item under "Short"?

I have the field checked for "Inventory Priority" under options.  That is the only other thing I have done to that product.  Can you help?  Thanks.
Sunglass Shack
Virginia Beach, VA | Norfolk, VA
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Having a problem with Purchase Orders
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »
In the New Purchase Order window use the Tools / Build From Re-Order Levels.
This will create a PO automatically for you.

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 09:56:50 AM »
Yeah, I tried that and although all of my fields are as how I described above it still won't list the item.  I don't have it selected as discontinued or to hide it or anything.  The only thing checked under the options tab is "Inventory Priority", everything else is left unchecked.  I have all of the Supplier 1 fields filled out.  I am stumped.  When it falls to a stock of zero it should tell me we need to order 1.  I double checked and stock is at zero, but it will not show up no matter what I do when generating a new purchase order.  It's been a frustrating process that I realized last Summer because we kept running out of things and I found out it was because they were not showing up on this report.  Some items do, some items don't.  I go into Product Control and compare the ones that do show up with the ones that don't and there is no difference in how they are set up.

:-\
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 10:01:17 AM »
**UPDATE**

So I tried this.  I have a real stock of zero on the product and the reorder is for when I hit zero to tell me I need to order 1.  So, I went ahead and made the reorder to trigger at 1 instead of zero and just said to tell me to reorder 3 of them.  It now shows up in the new purchase order!  So, my question is this.

I am looking for when this product reaches a stock of Zero I am told to reorder it.  I have had my Order Point set at the default "0".  Is the order point the number at which when it falls BELOW this number it triggers it?  If that is the case, then if I want it to prompt me to reorder a product at zero stock, should I put a "1" in the Order Point field in Product Control, instead of the "0" I have put there?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:06:43 AM by Courtright »
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
From further testing I think that is it.  I thought the order point (under Product Control) was the exact number of my stock to trigger a reorder.  It looks as if the Order Point is the number that you need it to full below to trigger a reorder then.  Just confirm if this is the case, I hate to have to redo all 5,000 products and not be right! lol. 

And to clarify, if I want a product to be reordered when I only have 3 left then in the Order Point I should put 4?
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 05:44:13 AM »
Yes, that is the case.  A re-order point of zero means don't ever order these.  A re-order point of 1 means order when it's below 1.

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:42:30 AM »
Thanks! =)
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline rjmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 11:30:08 AM »
Another twist to this is that it seems that the "Order Qty" you set is fixed, no matter how far below the Order Point you are. 

I.e., if your Order Point is 5, and your Order Qty. is 5, it'll show "5" to order whether your inventory is at "4" or "1". 

For this reason, I stick to using the "Low Inventory Check", so I can see the current Stock levels as well as the Order Point and Order Quantity, and add to the order if I need to (current Stock levels don't seem to show up in the Purchase Order function).  I "print" the "Low Inventory" report to pdf, then save to Excel and group the items any way I want - and add to Order Qty's if the Stock level is low enough.

Either way, it's great to not only have the ability to generate a report like this, but to have choices in how you do it.

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »
That is very true!  Thank you for the helpful tip, I will try that out for sure. =)

EDIT:  I was sure I knew how to get there but how do I get to "Low Inventory Check" screen so I can see current Stock levels as well as the Order Point and Order Quantity?  I see the Low Inventory Warning Window but can't find the "Low Inventory Check".  Thank you
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 04:24:20 PM by Courtright »
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 07:15:02 AM »
I think he is referring to the "Order Estimator" in the Purchase Order window.

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 11:13:54 AM »
I'm having trouble tracking down this "Order Estimator" in the Purchase Order window.  Is it on the Menu Bar perhaps on the Main Sales Screen?  I removed that Menu Bar last year after having some inventory issues.  It was the fact employees could print a receipt without actually selling the product then clear it once the customer left.

This is a little off-topic but is there any way where I can bring back the Menu Bar on the Sales Screen but disable or password protect the option for the employee to print a receipt of what they see on the screen before they finish the sale?

Thanks
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »
The Order Estimator is in the New Purchase Order window.  On the right side. 
Use the Settings / General to show the Windows Menu.  And the Settings / Security to restrict the Print Copy.

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 06:22:39 AM »
Awesome!  You are the best.  I have been wanting to bring back the Windows Menu bar but must have skipped past the security setting to not allow a non-Admin to print a copy.  Great to know that is in there.  I'll find it now.  Thanks for all your help (on both issues) once again! =)
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com