Author Topic: Generic Exception on Vista  (Read 5607 times)

Offline peter@wolftackle.com

• View Profile
Generic Exception on Vista
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »
We are running version 13. We added a computer to the network. We loaded EzPOS and it worked fine. It was able to navigate to the NAS the files are located on.

We joined that PC running Windows Vista to the Windows 2008 domain. Suddenly the program won't run and we only get a generic exception message. I tried a different user account, same effect. I added a rule in the windows firewall completely unblocking ezPOS, same effect. I removed the software and reloaded it, same effect.

We have another PC running Vista, which in not a domain member because it is Vista Home and the softare runs fine.

Any suggestions?

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Exception on Vista
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »
I've seen it many times and it's always a security / firewall / anti-virus issue.  Make sure that Guest on all computers are allowed to read and write to the ezp folder on the server.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:11:22 PM by ronaldrwl »

Offline peter@wolftackle.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 02:50:44 PM »
The Vista PC was able to connect using this computer prior to joining the domain. Since joining the domain users get the Generic Exception on all accounts. I added a local user as an Administrator of the PC and was unable to connect on that account.  Turned off MS Security Essentials, same error.

I used explorer to look at the Users/Public/../DR13/ezp directory. There was no such folder. I created one, tried logging in, still got Generic exception. It was now empty expcept for three files. I copied the entire contents of the folder from our NAS to the local PC without replacing those files. It was then able to log in. When I tried to connect to the network folder the progress window flashed up and disappeared immediately with no effect.

Turned off MS Security Essentials, same error.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »
If you don't see a ezp folder on the server then run the install.  Run ezPower on the server open the Help window and press the Database link.  This is the location where the database is located.