Author Topic: "Generic Exception"  (Read 22052 times)

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
    • Ocean Beaches Glassblowing & Gallery
"Generic Exception"
« on: November 11, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »
I have the network version of EZ 13 on a Windows 7 64-bit pc.  I have the cashier pc set up as the server, and the office pc set up as the client (in case of network trouble, wanted to make sure the customers could still be taken care of).

It's worked fine all day (just set it up yesterday), until I went in to edit a product on the client pc.  I kept getting a message when trying to finalize the edit that I wasn't connected to the "product database" (or something to that effect) - and was asked if I wanted to make the edited product into a new product.  I did not, so I cancelled it.

After doing this twice, I thought it might be the network not working.  I couldn't get the "connect" function to work (though I could access the network through Windows Explorer), so I decided to exit EZ and re-open it.

When I tried to open it, I get the normal opening screen for a moment, followed by an error message of "Generic Exception", with "OK" as the only button.  On clicking that, the error message and the program both close.

This happens every time I try now, even after rebooting.

The program on the server still seems to work fine.  What can I do?

Thanks!  (BTW, I think this is an excellent program!) 

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: "Generic Exception"
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:20:29 PM »
That sounds like a common issue when Windows 7 is the server.  Make sure software on the registers have full read/write access to the ezp folder on the server.  It's a little tricky to getting Windows 7 to share with XP.

Offline shaun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:17:14 PM »
We also have this problem and it is very frustrating.

The server it self works fine.

We run 4 terminals with the POS software, most of them will continue to work whilst one won't load the software and provides that error. It just ends up fixing it self within a couple of hours.

Anyway to avoid this issue?

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
    • Ocean Beaches Glassblowing & Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:17:09 AM »
I didn't end up waiting to see if it would go away.  I uninstalled, then re-installed the software, and haven't had any problems with it since.

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »
I'm having this problem now. 

"That sounds like a common issue when Windows 7 is the server.  Make sure software on the registers have full read/write access to the ezp folder on the server."   Where does one do this?  On the server, the client, or both?  In the network and sharing center?  A sub-menu of the control panel?   Certainly SOMEONE has resolved this problem.  I would really prefer to find the solutions posted in the forum rather than to have to bother Ronald with constant e-mails. 

Lee
Hyampom General Store
ezPower POS Network Ver13.701 - General Retail - Win7 - Bematech MP-4000TH Printer

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 09:11:41 AM »
On the "ezp" folder.
There are details in the Help Document under Network Setup.
Are you using version 10 as it says in your post?  Version 10 is not Vista or Windows 7 compatible.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:21:30 AM by ronaldrwl »

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »
I was using POS10.  That server was running WinXP and I wanted to upgrade the hardware, the OS, and upgrade to POS13.  I had been using Win7 and Vista machines as clients to maintain the database with no problems (other than the initial setup bugs).

Today, being the first day of having moved all the data files to POS13, I had POS13 actively running on the server.  My "House" machine appears to be working with full access.  The POS13 software on the "Stockroom" machine was crashing with a "Generic Error" until I logged on with a freshly created user account (administrative) and POS13 suddenly loads and works.  I shall look into the differences between the user accounts to see if the problem still exists in the original account or if I can ascertain the difference in settings.

On the "Office" machine I am still getting the "Generic Error" despite running as a new user.  It is also the only machine running Vista instead of Win7. 

Hyampom General Store
ezPower POS Network Ver13.701 - General Retail - Win7 - Bematech MP-4000TH Printer

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »
I have found that the most recent Windows update was preformed at 3:30 the morning of the day this new problem arose.  The client computer had access to the server after that event so I fail to see how the update could have caused the problem.

I have gone to "control panel/security/allow a program through firewall" and verified that POS13 is on the list.
I have gone to the "Network and Sharing center/Advanced Sharing Options" and checked those settings, they appear to be correct.
I have removed and re-installed the POS13 software.

I cannot seem to find the problem on this machine.  I DO have access from a different client but have yet to identify any difference in settings.
Everything on my network functions properly except for POS13.
Hyampom General Store

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »
I believe I talked to you after these postings on the phone about disabling the password requirement on the ezp folder.  How did that go?

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 10:52:16 AM »
The password requirement has no effect.

However, I have just restored access from that client, my stockroom computer can, once again, access the server.

First:  I uninstalled the ezPower POS 13 software.

Second:  I went to C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\ and DELETED the DR13 folder.  This folder contained a single file "LocalFileNames.PLF" which, it appears, was neither being removed during the UN-installation process nor being overwritten when POS 13 was re-installed.

Third:  I ran the installation program that I originally downloaded.  At this point the application prompted me for the location of the ezp folder instead of simply shutting down.  Once I pointed the software to the ezp folder on the server the program launched normally.

So, one problem resolved, two to go.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:11:39 AM by Lee »
Hyampom General Store

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 06:49:01 AM »
That tells me the network path to the server must have changed.  Deleting the LocalFileName file causes the program to reestablish the path.  You don't need to reinstall the software and all that.  Try using the File / Connect... to establish a path to the server.

Offline Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 02:13:42 AM »
Hi, One of my client computers crashed, and I replaced it with a new one, with Win7 loaded. Now I load Ezpos13 no problem but when I try to run the program I get "File Version Incompatible. Other Version 11.00 This Version 13.00. Do Not Mix Files of Different Versions." After clicking OK/Close, I get the Generic Exception window then the program closes. The version on the server is EZPOS13, running on XP. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 06:25:09 AM »
When the new install is run it looks for the ezp folder.  Is there a shared version 11 ezp?  That's what it's connecting to.

Offline Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 12:43:17 AM »
Thanks Ronald. We used to have version 11 and updated to version 13. I can not find any trace of version 11 on the network, but can't remember the name or the location of the shared folder in that version. Can you remind me? Many thanks.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 09:07:09 AM »
In Windows XP or older it's in the ezPower POS 11 folder.  With new Window versions, version 11 and older files are stored in the ezPower POS 11 folder but you need to press the "Compatibility Files" link at the top.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:13:15 AM by ronaldrwl »