Author Topic: Deleting Items Numbers from Stock  (Read 4801 times)

Offline Campbell

• View Profile
Deleting Items Numbers from Stock
« on: August 17, 2011, 05:36:40 AM »
Hi all

Every time I go to delete and item from the inventory I am warned "don't do this if the item has been previously sold". Therefore to avoid having a large quantity of redundant end-of-line items (with no stock holding) they have been changing both the item number (to a random numerical string) and deleting the rest of the fields (including the barcode). Then when a new and completely unrelated line comes into stock, the "random numerical string" item is overwritten and becomes something new and unrelated.

From my understanding of databases I think this would have the same effect as deleting the item, in that the sales history would become totally inaccurate. Thankfully due to the nature of the business we are not too fussed about sales history so this is OK. However I do feel our current method is extremely ugly and if we could just delete the items life would be a lot simpler - could someone please explain that other than effecting sales history why is deleting items not allowed - will it corrupt everything?

Also, we have played around with “hiding” items from view at the end of the day, the back end of the system looks clogged up and we just want to simplify things.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Steven

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Deleting Items Numbers from Stock
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:56:29 AM »
Only as it says, if you delete a product it will not show up on the reports.  Changing the Item# will have the same effect.