Author Topic: Case definition causes odd behavior  (Read 8236 times)

Offline Lee

• View Profile
Case definition causes odd behavior
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:06:50 AM »
I purchase Pepsi in 36-packs to sell as singles.  I have records for "Pepsi - 36pk" and "Pepsi - Single".

"Pepsi - 36pk" has a cost of 12.29 and a Markup% of 45, causing Retail to be 17.82.

"Pepsi - Single" has a cost of 0.34 (12.29/36) and a Retail of 0.70.  When I select "Functions/Build from Parts" I see that I have selected "Case Definition".  I also see that the "Part#" is the correct number for "Pepsi - 36pk" as that is what is displayed in the "Description" field.  The "Qty" is set to 36.

This all appears to be correctly entered as, when the "Pepsi - Single" record has a Qty of 5 and I sell 6 the quantity in the "Pepsi - Single" record is set to 35 and the Qty in the "Pepsi - 32pk" is decremented by one.

EXCEPT for this odd behavior... when I close the "Build from Parts" window the Cost is changed from 0.34 to 442.44 and the Retail Price is changed from 0.70 to 641.52.  I have deduced that these numbers are derived by multiplying the respective numbers from the "Case" record times the "Qty per Case".

It WOULD be nice for the unit cost to be derived, automatically, from the Case cost; but I would, apparently, need to set the "Qty per Case to 1/32 instead of 32 - which would not allow the case-to-singles stock transfer to function properly.

I have found this to be repeatable with all such Case/Single pairings I have created.

What am I doing wrong?  Thanks.
Hyampom General Store
ezPower POS Network Ver13.701 - General Retail - Win7 - Bematech MP-4000TH Printer

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Case definition causes odd behavior
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:33:32 PM »
It sounds like it's not setup correctly.  From the Product Control window use the Tools / Define Product Case.  Select the two products in the window and let it make the settings for you.  Then you can open the Build From Parts window and see how it works.  Let me know how it works for you.

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:03:57 PM »
Have done as you suggested.  Behavior is the same.
Hyampom General Store
ezPower POS Network Ver13.701 - General Retail - Win7 - Bematech MP-4000TH Printer

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 02:31:50 PM »
Can you send me a screen shot of the Define Product Case window.  Use the Ctrl - Atl - Prt Screen.

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »
Screen shot sent.

When I used the Define Product Case in the manner that you described it DID automatically fill the fields with the correct data when I supplied the item number.

When the "single" item is restocked from the "case" item the quantities are modified correctly.  The software appears to be multiplying when it should be dividing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:19:35 PM by Lee »
Hyampom General Store

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 04:33:25 PM »
I tried the "bulk definition" to see what would happen.  In the "Build from Parts" window of Pepsi - Single the Qty was changed from 36 to .028 and the definition was changed from "Case" to "Parts list or bulk".  With four singles in stock I sold 5 singles.  The qty field in the Pepsi - Sinlge remained at 4 but the qty field in the Pepsi - Case dropped from 5 to 4.86.

I appear to have the choice between either the quantities or the prices functioning properly.
Hyampom General Store

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »
I tried your example by inputting the information from the screen shot you sent and everything worked perfect.  When selling down the singles it took from the case.  I didn't see any problem.  Maybe I'm not following your example correctly.  What problem should I see?

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 08:15:53 PM »
New screen shot sent.  You can see, in the lower image, what happens to the price and cost.
Hyampom General Store

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 06:33:27 AM »
I see from your screen shot you need to uncheck the "Calculate total price from parts".  They must have been checked when you were setting it up manually.

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 07:42:01 AM »
That's odd.  When I open the "Build from Parts" window the "Calculate total price from parts" option is checked, but the option is not available for modification unless I choose the "Parts list or Bulk Definition".  Having done that, deselecting "Calculate total price from parts", and then re-selecting "Case Definition" cured the pricing anomaly.  I had presumed, as the option was not available with "Case Definition" selected, that it wasn't used in that mode.

Thank you.
Hyampom General Store