Author Topic: too much data  (Read 8919 times)

Offline saldechin

• View Profile
too much data
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »
Been an EZP fan/user since version 8. I just purchased the upgrade to v13, although I skipped v12. My question comment is as follows.

As sales accumulate over time, doing an export sales becomes more and more difficult. The same is true for most other EZP reporting functions. The more data that accumulates the slower the reporting becomes. I do my own data analysis and reporting by exporting sales as raw data. This is a fabulous option in EZP. Unfortunately, export sales freezes so quickly now that I can not export more than a week of data at a time, if I am lucky (I average 2000 sales per week).

Has anyone else found this issue and Ronald, is there any way to address this?

Am I correct to assume that once I upgrade to v13 from v11, I should start from scratch? Or can I import my sales history from v11 to v13? If I can import my sales to v13, will it have the same problem in its inability to handle the large amount of data?

All in all, this is pretty flipping good software, so don't take my comments as the wrong way. I have recommended your software to a number of people already and will likely continue to do so.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: too much data
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 06:24:27 AM »
It's not freezing.  It's just busy and won't respond until it's done.
You can export the sales and most everything except the settings to version 13 from version 11 or 12.

Offline saldechin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:36:40 PM »
Although you may well be correct, I suspect that it does actually freeze. The reason I say is that when I perform an Export Sales, if it is going to work, there is a lag in the beginning as the program thinks then once it gets going, one can see the sales ticking over as they are being exported. If it is going to freeze, it will do so a some random point and just stop. I have waited as long as several hours just in case the program needed more time, but when it freezes that is it, you must start again. Starting again sometimes works, sometimes not. When it doesn't work, the freeze point is never the same.

Offline saldechin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 08:12:06 PM »
With respect to exporting my entire sales history, I have tried that many times in the last few months to no avail. The system simply can never get that far before a freeze as I described above. FYI, my sales history consists of over 77,000 sales. Does uploading sales history from v11 to v13 require I export the entire sales history or is it uploaded through the use of a backup? If it is the latter, then there are no worries, as I backup the system nightly and even employ a backup server which can effectively test the integrity of the backup. If the former, then I am at a loss how I to create a complete sales history from a single export sales attempt.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 06:46:43 AM »
With that many sales it could take all night.  I'm sure it's just taking longer than you expect.  The transfer from 11 to 13 does include a sales export.  But you can elect to leave the sales in 11 and only transfer the products and customers.

Offline saldechin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »
Fair enough. Last questions...

Given my volume of sales, I think starting fresh with zero sales in v13 is my best option. Furthermore, I think that a fresh start once a year will become our standard practice. To do this, would I create a backup,  uninstall EZP completely and then reinstall it fresh. Is this correct or is there a better way?

How do I transfer all my reservations from v11 to v13?

I think that is about it. Transferring products, gift cards and customers is straight forward. Irrespective, any other advice for a seamless transition is always appreciated.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 07:10:38 AM »
No don't uninstall and all that.  Just save a backup copy of the data and then use the Delete All Sales.  Let me know when you are ready and I'll walk you through it.

Offline saldechin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
Ok mate, I am ready when you are.

1. backup the data
2. delete sales from sales control
3. ...

Offline saldechin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
Just thought I would let you know. With the upgrade to v13 that I ordered, you sent me a v11 upgrade. Following the directions, I upgraded my current v11 with the newer one then re-tried the sales export. The newer v11 has a "skip count (out of date)" message in the export sales window. Anyway, this has solved the data problem I mentioned above. I was able to export my entire sales history, or any part thereof, without a hitch.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 07:19:11 PM »
I would use the Sales Control, File / Export Sales (Export All Sales).  This will also export the products, employees, gift cards, vendors and payments.  That only leaves the settings you need to redo.  After importing the sales file use the Sales Control, File / Delete All Sales to reset the sales count.

1 - update the v11 (if you haven't already).
2 - export the Sales from v11.
3 - close v11 and open v13
4 - use the Sales Import (this will take a while).
5 - use the File / Delete All Sales in the Sales Control window.
6 - reset all your settings (File / Choose Recept Printer, Settings / General....)

If you want to see the old sales run version 11.  The version 13 will not effect v11.