Author Topic: Something to consider about building a product from parts.  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
Something to consider about building a product from parts.
« on: October 22, 2014, 07:11:03 AM »
I love the fact you can build a product from parts however I am noticing one flaw that perhaps may have been overlooked?  Not sure if there is a reason it was done the way you have it now but I will explain.

As example, let's say you build a product called "MACHINE" and it is built from 2 bolts, 2 washers and 1 pipe.  The parts are all inventoried and counted on a daily basis.  Well let's say you want to have this product, called "MACHINE" on the shelf for a customer to buy so you have to go take 2 washers, 2 bolts and 1 pipe from your stock and build it.  Well now when employees go to check the stock of washers, bolts and pipes they are coming up short on their inventory count (because they are currently being used to create the machine product).  I see when it sells the individual parts are now removed from inventory however if you are using the parts to sell separately as well as parts of something bigger than inventory count will be off.  It may look like you have 20 bolts and 20 washers to sell to customers but when you check the box it's empty because you have 10 MACHINE products sitting on the shelf.

Here's just my 2 cents and perhaps there is a reason why it is not done like this.  Let's say you build that machine product from those parts listed but you have not added any machines yet to inventory, so therefore it doesn't affect your actual inventory count of loose bolts, washers and pipes.  As soon as you ADD 1 Machine Product to inventory then it should deduct the parts from inventory right then and there, because they are being used to create the larger product.  Therefore individual inventory count of the parts (that are also being sold to customers) is not off.

Any input on this? 

...(continued in next post)
Sunglass Shack
Virginia Beach, VA | Norfolk, VA
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
Re: Something to consider about building a product from parts.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 07:11:41 AM »
I am having this issue now with sunglasses. We custom build Oakleys from parts (ie.: frames, lenses, nosepieces, etc) but we also sell these pieces separately to customers.  So I may have a custom built Oakley on the shelf for a customer to pick up and buy already made but it was made from parts.  My employees can no longer keep correct inventory of all the parts since some are in glasses (mixed in a Sea of thousands of glasses) and some are in boxes in the back.  It also may look on paper like I have 5 Polarized black lenses in stock but they all may be in frames ready for sale and I have zero lenses in stock for customers to walk in and buy.

Hopefully you understand the issue with this and I figured I would input my feedback.  I really really love this software and your support and sorry if all my postings are taken the wrong way.  I just enjoy being able to help fine tune the product for your potential customers needs in any way I can and let you know issues that I see when using it every day.  Coming from a website/coding past it's hard to not get involved, lol.  =)
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:12:54 AM »
That is a whole market of software that we don't focus on.  The biggest temptation for POS software is to add every feature but that makes the software complicated and buggy.  We try to focus on our market and not to be all things.  Actually at one time, many years ago, ezPower had those functions. 

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »
Gotcha, I can see that.  After an hour or so of brainstorming my manager and I figured a way around it.  By having one item on display (separate made up SKU for the display model) we can then build the product (literally) from the parts when the customer asks for it and wants to buy it.  Now we simply ring them up for all the separate parts to get the total for the main product.  So it won't be as easy as having them all pre-made but it'll still work.  Thanks Ronald. =)
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com