Author Topic: Employee figured a way to manipulate inventory with out finishing sale.  (Read 5781 times)

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
Hello, not sure if something here will ring a bell with you at all but I came across something.  In doing an inventory count, we had 120 Ray Ban sunglasses in stock.  Our inventory level in the POS system showed 119 pair in stock.  So, I went back into the Sales Control and found the pair we had but our inventory system said there were 0 of.  I noticed yesterday that an employee rang up that exact pair of Ray Bans but didn't seem to finish the sale.  He did something where it took them out of inventory but the sale was never fully finished.  When a sale is finished and I go to review it all the buttons to the left are grayed out and I would have to EDIT the sale in order to do anything to it.  With this sale, the buttons were not grayed out, they looked normal.  So, I hit "Clear Sale" (not void) and it gave me a pop-up saying something similar to "something for this sale has already been printed, clearing the sale will make a log in the Managers Window."  Not exactly that, but very similar.  So do you know what that employee did?  I can't seem to replicate it.  It's as if he rang them and never cleared the sale but somehow printed something which took them out of the inventory system.  But we still have the glasses so apparently they were never sold.  Any ideas would be very helpful.  It scares me that if this is some sort of backdoor to the inventory system that an employee could take out any pair of $200 glasses and use this trick to remove them from inventory and I would never notice.

Thanks for any ideas.

*EDIT* Also, no employee but myself has the ability to adjust inventory levels via Product Control or Adjust Inventory. 
Sunglass Shack
Virginia Beach, VA | Norfolk, VA
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Some of the descriptions are mixed up.  So, I'm not sure how to answer your question.  Clear This Sale only works on sales that have not been Finished and the sale can still be changed.  The warning message doesn't say anything about having already been printed.  Sales that have not been Finished, have not been taken out of stock.  Only Finished sales have been taken out of stock and you can not use Clear This Sale on Finished sales.

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
Hmmm, I wish I did a little more investigating before I hit the "clear sale" button.  But I do remember it saying something about "items for this sale have already been printed.  Message logged in Managers Window"  I know that is far off from the exact terminology but it was to that effect for sure, first part saying "something has been printed" and second part dealing with my actions being "logged in Managers (Window?)."  And now of course since I cleared it I could no longer go back.  But we do inventory counts every night and the night before it was dead on and the next day it was 1 short.  We found the pair in our cabinets and when we scanned the tag it said we had zero, although yesterday it was accounted for.  It's as if the sale was partially finished enough to remove it from inventory but not enough to fully finish the sale.  I'm stumped.

I'll try to replicate it today.  Not sure what they must have done.  I wish I could go back into the activity log and find it but it has been a few days and I can't remember the time even.  I'll let ya know if I can replicate it or come up with anything.  Thanks Ronald. =)
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
Re: Employee figured a way to manipulate inventory with out finishing sale.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 11:04:47 AM »
As to the message that I got that said something like "items for this sale have already been printed, clearing the sale will make a log in the Managers Window" I got the same message when I scanned a bunch of items into inventory, then I printed a quote.  I then went back into Sales Control, opened the  sale and cleared it.  I then got that message.  However, unlike the incident I had prior this was not the method used to also remove it from inventory.  But at least I did find out perhaps how to create that message.  It's clearing an Open sale after a quote for it has been printed.

As to the item removing from inventory I haven't stumbled across that yet however I haven't had any time to research it yet either.  Waiting for the Summer to slow down.  Thanks and just keeping you updated on any info regarding this to prevent any loopholes.
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com