Author Topic: Small suggestion  (Read 7312 times)

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
Small suggestion
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »
One thing that would help me as a user is if there was a "Function Button" for "Product Control."  As a user I am using Product Control at least 5 times a day.  The reason why Product Control is so much more handy then "Add New Product" is that great feature you guys put in there called "Duplicate Product."  So if you have a new product with just a new UPC and description, you can keep all the same info already put in for another product, very handy!  Maybe it is not used nearly as much by some people, but the Product Control is awesome to have and loved it when it was up in the Menu Bar.  However I since removed that Menu Bar (per your recommendation) to get rid of the "Print Receipt" button which you said is a way employees can possibly steal.  Or under Security making "Print Receipt" something where you can set Security Levels would eliminate that problem too, thus being able to have users keep the Menu Bar without fear of employee theft.

Just throwing out my 2 cents.  I know not all suggestions may be what is best for the software but I feel as programmers you never know unless you hear feedback from the consumer.  Like the idea I brought up with putting Returns on the Z Out, that would be very beneficial to most users.

Thanks.
Sunglass Shack
Virginia Beach, VA | Norfolk, VA
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
    • Ocean Beaches Glassblowing & Gallery
Re: Small suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »
I can't tell if you've run into this, but in the upper-left corner there's "File", "Products", "Sales", etc.  I often go into Product Control by clicking on "Products".  It seems to offer the same functionality as having a function button for it.  (or is that the menu bar that you've hidden?)

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »
I can't tell if you've run into this, but in the upper-left corner there's "File", "Products", "Sales", etc.  I often go into Product Control by clicking on "Products".  It seems to offer the same functionality as having a function button for it.  (or is that the menu bar that you've hidden?)
Correct, that is the Menu Bar that I have hidden.  Within that "File" part of the Menu Bar there is "Print Receipt."  That can be a way where an employee could kinda trick the system and potentially steal from the register.  They ring up a sale, tell the customer the amount and then hit "Print Receipt."  A Receipt Prints, they use "Open Drawer" to figure out the change and then go back into Sales Control later and just clear the sale.  It was never rang up so they don't need to void it, just clear it.  So per Ronald's suggestion I removed the Menu Bar.
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
    • Ocean Beaches Glassblowing & Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »
Just a couple ideas: 

I have our drawer set up to open only for cash transactions.  Also, the z-out report gives you the number of times the drawer was open - and it seems to list only instances other than cash transactions.  You could monitor drawer openings.

You could set Security to not allow anyone below a certain level to Clear a sale, and just review all open sales at the end of the day.

I left the Menu bar off for quite a while, too, but eventually wanted those functions too badly.

It goes without saying, but it sure is a shame to have to orient things like this around the possibility of someone taking advantage of it!  I really like the options this system gives us, though.

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 12:30:20 PM »
First, thank you for all the generous tips!
I have our drawer set up to open only for cash transactions.
I have tried this to begin with but in the Summer we do probably 100 credit card transactions in a day, so it became impossible to stuff them all through the slot.  Perhaps if I can figure out something else, like going to a separate plastic bin next to the register to put the slips in, then I could go back to opening the drawer just for cash transactions.

Also, the z-out report gives you the number of times the drawer was open - and it seems to list only instances other than cash transactions.  You could monitor drawer openings.

My POS actually has an issue with this believe it or not.  At the end of the night the Z Report may say "Drawer Opened: 2" letting us know it was only opened 2 times, but we will have like 4 drawer opened slips from throughout that day.  Ronald sent me an update but for some reason I am still having this issue.  I noticed on short days (like 9-6) it will be accurate more of the time.  A lot of time we are open 7 days a week from 9am until midnight.  On those longer days is when we seem to have this issue happen.  So it has been unreliable sadly for us. I demand each employee keeps these slips and staples them at night to our closing report.  If I ever want to I can manually go back and review my security footage to see what happened.  Luckily I normally get a terrific staff, perhaps I am a little paranoid about theft.  But I have had employee theft so many times it makes you question everyone ... sadly.
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
You could set Security to not allow anyone below a certain level to Clear a sale, and just review all open sales at the end of the day.
Problem with this is some days there may only be 1 employee working.  Some days we can have just 1 person, other days have 3 people.  So because of this, I had to allow everyone to be able to clear a sale for times when I am not there.  And we are open in the Summer 7 days a week from 9am til midnight.

I left the Menu bar off for quite a while, too, but eventually wanted those functions too badly.
It goes without saying, but it sure is a shame to have to orient things like this around the possibility of someone taking advantage of it!  I really like the options this system gives us, though.
Agreed!!!  And I miss having the MENU Bar very much.  That's why if there was a Security Setting for "Print Receipt" I could bring it back.  I have never had to use "Print Receipt" on its own.
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com