Author Topic: Edit/Void problems  (Read 5067 times)

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
    • Ocean Beaches Glassblowing & Gallery
Edit/Void problems
« on: November 26, 2016, 01:21:26 PM »
I originally had this under a previous, existing subject, but thought it different enough to start a new thread.

To finish a Layaway/Deposit, we have always used Edit to take the final payment.  When we go back to these transactions for final payment, the Finish button is grayed out, and the only way I've ever figured out how to accept payment is by using Edit.  If the intention is to have the cashier go into the Customer, Advanced Payment window to do it, that really adds more complexity for the cashier than I'd like.

Over the last few months, though, pretty much every time we try such an Edit, we get the message "open in another computer".   We never have it open in another computer but almost always get that message.  I've been meaning to ask about it, but now it's happening virtually every time we try an Edit.

Our procedure was to use Find Sale, then search for the Customer name, then open the transaction.  It had been fairly rare that we'd get the "open in another computer" message.  When that didn't work, we'd use Find Sale, and enter the Receipt #.  Surprisingly, that often worked (i.e., no error message) when the first method did not.

Over the summer, we were getting "the message" something like 50-75% of the time, and now just about every time - and neither previous method is working now.  We always get the "open in another computer" message.  I've had to go into the Manager section, then Sales, to Edit or Void anything, but I hate to have to be directly involved every time this happens, and I also hate the idea of allowing anyone else in that area (yes, even I deleted ALL sales one time!).  And, invariably, it's when the customer is standing there waiting.

If we just added a new transaction, wouldn't we pretty much have to delete the original - and do it before we accept payment to know what the balance really is? (there's usually been a Deposit made.)

Thanks for your help!

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Edit/Void problems
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 05:54:42 AM »
Add a Payment button to the sales screen.  Use the Find Sale and the Payment button to make the payments. 

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 06:01:35 AM »
As far as the "Open in another Computer" message there must be something going on.  Are you getting any error messages, computer crashes or something?  When any of the terminals is 'looking' at a sale that sale is marked as open.  So that two terminals won't be working on the same sale at the same time.  Do not use the Edit This Sale.  That function should be password protected and almost never used.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 01:07:15 PM by ronaldrwl »

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
    • Ocean Beaches Glassblowing & Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 08:34:08 AM »
So is the Payment button explicitly for the purpose of addressing Layaways/Deposits?  I never could quite figure out what it was for, but I'd only tried it with normal, fully paid transactions.

No, there have been no crashes or error messages. But I'm not too concerned about it at this point, since "open in another computer" only shows up when we try to Edit a transaction.  I'll certainly let you know if it happens when I try to use the Payment button.

Thanks for setting me straight!