Author Topic: Sitting on a Gold Mine with WebGen if expanded  (Read 8185 times)

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
Sitting on a Gold Mine with WebGen if expanded
« on: March 29, 2016, 10:23:29 AM »
I have searched the internet everywhere for something where I can sell my products online but also track live inventory in a website that is also beautiful.

With so many "build your own website from our template" sites out there it seems as if time was invested to allow users the ability to select a few templates and also change aspects of the design off their site (like Volusion, Shopify, etc) it could change building an online business altogether.  No one is doing this at a reasonable cost.  WebGen is the platform although I'm not sure how many are actually using it but if time was put into refining it with customization options it would be unstoppable.

We are creating an online store through Shopify however live inventory levels are not possible.  You already have all that, you just need the refinement.  I am sure you guys have talked about this numerous times and already know everything I am typing but when I see how big Shopify and Volusion and other storefront template websites are with millions of users I can't help but think if you could offer the same visual appeal and customization but bundle with the "PRO Package" free POS software that tracks inventory live I couldn't imagine anyone not choosing you.

Just figured I'd chime in, like I said I'm sure all well aware of this.  Take care.
Sunglass Shack
Virginia Beach, VA | Norfolk, VA
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sitting on a Gold Mine with WebGen if expanded
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 08:02:37 AM »
We have looked at supporting a 3rd party website (like Shopify, 3dcart...).  It's something we would like to do but haven't made the commitment yet.  Some of them like Shopify, I believe, don't support inventory.  Maybe this summer when it slows down we can take another look.  Upgrading WebGen has been considered but it's not so simple.  It's been a fulltime job keeping up with the credit card changes  :o

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 11:01:46 AM »
I can imagine.  I just really like your product and especially the 1 on 1 support you offer so I try to help when I can and have recommended to you guys to many of my friends (some who have bought).  I can imagine how crazy it is just keeping up.  I can just see if WebGen was as beautiful and as customizable as these website builders you guys would be cutting edge.  Some other websites offer inventory tracking, I think Shopify now does, but it is from a set number you originally put in the system and it will reduce 1 everytime you sell one.  But for a business with a brick and mortar store unless you keep separate inventory for online there is no way to accurately track live inventory that is also sitting on your sales floor being sold.
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
    • Ocean Beaches Glassblowing & Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 05:30:40 PM »
I agree with Courtwright that some way of connecting EZP with a website would be tremendous. 

I just took a look at WebGen again, and finally figured out that I could just hit the "preview" button.  Without any intervention or preparation for it on my part, I'm shocked to see how functional it is.

Ronald, I can imagine that it could be difficult to change WebGen much, and understand the issue of credit card changes making things complicated.  Then again, would another service that works something like Paypal - e.g., Stripe - be workable?   

The issue of not having inventory tracked for the website does make things challenging.  I've looked at a number of online POS systems that do all that and more, but you really have to pay a premium.  Though I can't claim to know much about what it would take on your part, it seems that there's enough "room" between what you're charging and what "they" are charging that it could be worth your while.

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:58:19 PM »
It's something we consider every summer.  What would happen is a separate function to upload your inventory to XYZ website would be added.  WebGen would remain mostly as is.

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 08:20:01 PM »
I have a website I am building via Shopify (which is a great platform).  Inventory can be loaded into their inventory system via CSV files however it is not LIVE inventory.  Sell something in your store but it will still say stock of 1 online.  We are considering once the website launches and grows that years from now we may have to have entirely separate stock for online.
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 06:11:59 AM »
We are working on adding a Shopify csv export.

Offline rjsmeyer

• View Profile
    • Ocean Beaches Glassblowing & Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 05:54:37 AM »
That sounds intriguing!

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 05:42:06 AM »
But now even Shopify inventory export isn't the same as live integration.  I don't think Shopify would ever release the keys to their kingdom since they also have a free POS system (very basic) that goes along with their website and changes inventory levels online as things sell.  Now that would be a POS program that if prices fair would take over the World.  Everything is going online and live inventory integration is priceless and hard to find in a value price POS program.
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com

Offline ronaldrwl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 06:45:01 AM »
We're planning on making the inventory updating as simple as possible.  And importing the Shopify sales.  For smaller online businesses being able to update once or twice a day is probable enough.  It's not perfect but for now it's the best Shopify allows.  The more feedback we get from customers using Shopify the better we'll be able to make it.

Offline Courtright

• View Profile
    • Sunglass Shack
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 07:39:23 AM »
Great News, very excited to check it out.
Sunglass Shack
www.GlassesInTheMail.com